Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Final Round Begins...Speeches #3

Okay...today is the day. I have to get up and talk about baseball. I hate my life. Here I go...


My stomach hurts today...sigh. I think this speech is giving me an ulcer. Perhaps I should have skipped today. 
...
We have started talking about annotated bibliographies. Those are not my friend. I hate them, and do not want to do it. Good thing I am not a communications or English major...right?!

Think about these things when you are using sources for your bibliography:

Main Topic?
Main Resource?
Main Argument?
Credible?
Reliable?
How does it compare to sources in the field or in your bibliography?
Is there bias?

Alex B.
-Volleyball
-Been playing since 4th grade
-Look good, play good
-Be prepared.
-Warm ups
-Celebrate small victories
-Keep your head high
-Thank the fans-love that.
-Pre-season video. <3
-Love Thy Teammate

I went...my God that was scary. Sam and I had the same topic and Babe Ruth quote. Pretty cool!

Sam
-Played a lot of baseball!
- Broke his ankle, couldn't play his senior year :(
-That team went to state for the first time in 30 years
-Played for one of the top 5 teams in the nation (traveling team)
-Traveled all over the country
-Ticket into college baseball
-Plays here at CSS
-PO: pitcher only
-Hoka-hey

Anna
-Rigged Game
-Standardized testing
-Going onto secondary education 
-English
-Gets heated over testing
-Winner of a rigged game should not get to write the rules
-Teaching?
-Build education around testing 
-Being tested on useless things?
-Negative results for ST
-Students who don't speak English are taking the same tests as those who can
-Keep changing the standards
-Being tested on the wrong things
-Standardized boot camp
-Don't do well on test, no money for school
-Kid in her class won't even pick up a regular book, only use technology
-Testing has now replaced instruction
-Trained to memorize, and pass the test
-Need to break away from monotonous practices
-Make sure the students understand the concepts and definitions, trains students to grasp situations in real life
-Need to recognize each student is different and need to learn different. Standardized testing cannot capture true intelligence.

Matt
-Exploring
-Happened naturally, Dad is in the Coast Guard
-Stationed to different states, moved and got to see a lot
-Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Pacific Ocean, San Diego
-Saw a lot on summer vacation last year
-Likes Duluth
-Space stated consistent
-Naturally curious
-Shared human experience, looking at the same stars
-NASA picture, pretty damn cool
-Meteors
-Only thing moving in the sky. Saw shower in 2009
-Space Jam
-Space video: Carl Sagan 



My oh my, I do love baseball. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment