Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cultural/Media Impacts on Relationships


What do you think relationships in the U.S. mostly emphasize? What things are important to a relationship in U.S. culture today? Is this a good or a bad thing? Why? 

-As far as relationships go, I feel that the emotional and commitment aspect are slipping away. Girls still love the romantic aspect, but often times will settle for less just to have somebody. The physical aspects are highly emphasizes in the U.S. Personally, I think it is important to have a good balance of both emotional and physical, and to have boundaries. I interviewed a German foreign exchange student, and he described the girls in the U.S. as extremely outgoing, and sort of "easy". This will often times translate into a relationship. I don't think it is necessary a BAD thing, but I do think it can become negative when there is no emotion in a committed relationship.
        
How does culture affect your own relationships? How do the media affect what people look for in friendships and romantic relationships?


-I wouldn't say that culture has affected my relationships. I am a very reserved introvert when it comes to relationships, so I am automatically selective in my choosing. I think more than anything, social gossip or things that I have heard can affect my relationships, as much as I hate to admit that. So, in a way, the culture that we live in with gossip has shaped me in choosing who I interact with. In media, I think The Bachelor has completely screwed our love world over. I admit to asking myself "why hasn't my boyfriend taken me on a midnight camel ride in the Sahara Desert with Justin Timberlake serenading me??" With media and dating shows, a true relationship is not represented, so it sets expectations a bit off course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment