Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Communication in an Organization and Leadership


Think about “Thinking Critically” questions 1-5 on page 223, then answer these questions:
-What qualities do you possess that make you a good member of a group? 
Two of my strongest qualities are positivity and strategy. I try to find the positive aspects of the group and project, and find new creative ways to improve them. I am a natural leader so I like to have structure in a group.

-What qualities do you possess that make you a good leader of a group? 
I want to get things done in an efficient way. I like to get straight to the point, and include all the group members. 

-When you become part of a group, do you generally prefer leadership or not?
It depends what the topic is. If it is something that I know a lot about, or am very interested in, I prefer the leadership role so that I can do things the way I prefer them. If it is a topic that I am not familiar with, I would rather let somebody else take the lead.
         


        
       
3 Styles of Leaders

Read Unit 11. Find the 3 styles of leaders and list 2 different qualities from the reading that each style would most likely possess.
1. The laissez-faire leader: close-minded, controlling
2. The democratic leader:open-minded, guiding
3. The authoritarian leader: independent, bossy
        
       
Models of Leadership

You are to pick two of your favorite leaders from the present or the past. You can choose from among athletic figures, historical leaders, politicians—anyone who you believe was an effective (or possible terrible?) leader. For example, Julius Caesar as leader of the Roman people.

        
Reflect on the styles of leadership they used. Compare their strengths and weaknesses. Your response should include the leadership styles and how they worked, and why these two figures ultimately succeeded (or failed). Who was more effective? If you could change something about the way these people led, what it would be?

Annie Palmquist was my high school volleyball captain my junior year. Annie was definitely a democratic leader. She was always wanting the team's input about how things needed to get done, and she would lead us in a positive manner to get the best possible outcome. The only problem was that she may have been too open-minded. There are times when a captain or leader needs to buckle down and choose, which didn't always happen. 
Ms. Benge was my high school choir teacher throughout junior high and high school. I loved her fun and outgoing spirit, but I would say that she approached leadership in an authoritarian manner. For concerts and programs, she would decide all music, and was never open to suggestions from the group. It was often times very frustrating, but we were VERY good and successful. 

I think both Annie and Ms. Benge were very effective leaders in their own way. I don't think either was better than the other because they lacked what the other had.  A perfect combination of the two would be an outstanding leader. With authoritarian leading styles, there is a concise structure that many groups need. With democratic, there is a sense of belonging and contribution which is also important in a group setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment